What Happens During Air Conditioning Maintenance?
We rely on our air conditioning units to provide us with cool air throughout the long warm seasons in Texas, which can put a lot of wear and tear on our HVAC systems. This is why it is important to stay on top of your regular maintenance and to service your air conditioner on an annual basis.
Air conditioning maintenance typically involves a series of tasks performed by a trained technician to ensure the optimal functioning and efficiency of an air conditioning system. The specific steps may vary depending on the type and complexity of the system, but here are some common activities that take place during air conditioning maintenance:
- Visual Inspection: One of our HVAC technicians will first perform a visual inspection of your entire HVAC system. This will include the indoor and outdoor units, to check for any signs of damage, leaks, or wear and tear. If you notice any problems before your annual servicing reach out to our team to have your unit looked at.
- Clean or Replace the Air Filter: The air filters, which remove dust and debris from the air, will be cleaned or replaced if they are dirty or clogged. This helps maintain good indoor air quality and improves system performance. If you fail to replace your air filter at the right times you can negatively impact the performance of your air conditioning system and even cause breakdowns.
- Coil Cleaning: The evaporator coil (located in the indoor unit) and the condenser coil (located in the outdoor unit) can accumulate dirt and debris over time. The technician will clean these coils to ensure efficient heat transfer and airflow.
- Condensate Drain Cleaning: The condensate drain, which removes moisture collected during the cooling process, can become clogged with dirt or algae. The technician will clean the drain to prevent blockages and potential water damage.
- Refrigerant Check: The technician will check the refrigerant levels in the system. If the refrigerant is low, indicating a leak, it may need to be replenished or the leak repaired to ensure optimal cooling performance.
- Electrical Components Inspection: The electrical connections, controls, and wiring will be inspected to ensure they are tight, secure, and functioning correctly. Faulty electrical components can cause system malfunctions or pose safety risks.
- Lubrication: Motors and bearings within the system may require lubrication to reduce friction and ensure smooth operation. This helps extend the lifespan of these components.
- Fan and Blower Inspection: The technician will inspect and clean the fan blades and blower assembly to ensure proper airflow and ventilation.
- Thermostat Calibration: The thermostat will be checked and calibrated if necessary to ensure accurate temperature control and system operation.
- Overall System Performance Check: Once the maintenance tasks are completed, the technician will test the system to verify that it is functioning properly. They may also provide recommendations for any necessary repairs or improvements.
Regular air conditioner maintenance helps improve energy efficiency, prolongs the system’s lifespan, prevents breakdowns, and ensures optimal comfort and air quality within a space. It is generally recommended to schedule maintenance at least once a year, preferably before the cooling season begins.
The short answer: Yes, you do. There are plenty of reasons to get your air conditioning serviced regularly, not the least of which is that it inevitably saves you money. If you don’t get the unit serviced, you may not know there’s an issue until it’s much bigger and more expensive to fix.
By having your AC system serviced often, the fixes are usually smaller and less expensive. The average AC tune-up cost ranges between $75 and $200. But prices will vary depending on the unit, the issue, and your location. Servicing a window unit ranges between $30 and $500, while maintenance for larger AC units costs between $350 and $750. This annual inspection will not cost you much time. It takes roughly one to two hours to complete, so clearing out an entire day won’t be necessary (unless the problem is severe).
On the flip side, an unserviced AC loses 5% efficiency per year and uses more energy, which will cost you more in energy bills. This lack of routine maintenance also puts more strain on the system, reducing its lifespan by as much as 50%. And a new air conditioner costs up to $7,500.
Schedule Your Air Conditioning Maintenance Appointment in Houston Today
The dedicated HVAC technicians at LoneStar Heating and Cooling have been serving Houston and its surrounding communities for over 30 years. In this time, our company has established itself as an industry leader and proud member of the Houston community. We work with both commercial and residential clients providing affordable HVAC repairs, maintenance services, and installations to help you maintain total control over the climate in your home or business. We also offer commercial refrigeration repair, maintenance, and installation services. If you are looking to take control of the climate in your space, schedule an appointment with our team today.
LoneStar Heating and Cooling
7941 Katy Fwy #287
Houston, TX 77024
View our Google Listing