Homeowners in Texas rely heavily on their air conditioning system throughout most of the year to keep cool air flowing and humidity out of their homes. When you noticed a sudden change or disruption in the cooling power of your AC unit, you may wonder if you need to repair or replace your air conditioner. In many cases, your HVAC system will just need a system repair.
If your air conditioner is more than ten years old, the cost of repairs exceeds the value of the HVAC unit, or you are interested in upgrading to a more energy efficient model, it is time to replace your AC unit. It is not cost effective to continue paying for repairs on a unit that is ten years or older.
6 Signs Your AC is Failing
Are you concerned your air conditioning unit is no longer operating in an efficient manner? Is it struggling to keep your home comfortable? You may be in need of a system repair or replacement. Listed below are 6 signs your AC is failing and should be looked at by a professional HVAC technician:
- Poor airflow: If you notice weak or reduced airflow from your air conditioner, it could be a sign of a failing compressor or a clogged air filter. This will need to be addressed by a professional air conditioning technician in order to prevent more serious problems from occurring. Schedule an appointment with our team to learn more about how to improve your airflow.
- Warm air: If your air conditioner is blowing warm or hot air instead of cool air, it could indicate a problem with the compressor, refrigerant leak, or a clogged air filter. You can change out your air filter at home to see if it helps, however, your unit may be damaged and need a professional repair in order to restore full function.
- Strange sounds: If you hear strange or new sounds coming from your air conditioner, such as grinding or squealing noises, it could indicate a problem with the fan motor, compressor, or other components. These issues can quickly lead to major system breakdowns and should be addressed as soon as possible.
- Moisture or leaks: If you notice moisture or leaks around your air conditioner, it could indicate a refrigerant leak or a problem with the condensate drain. Contact the team at LoneStar Heating and Cooling to correct problems with your AC.
- Unpleasant smells: If your air conditioner is emitting strange or unpleasant odors, it could indicate a problem with the air filter, ductwork, or other components. Our team will work quickly to identify the issue and correct it so you can go back to uninterrupted air conditioning.
- High humidity: If your air conditioner is not effectively reducing the humidity in your home, it could indicate a problem with the unit’s cooling capacity or the thermostat.
If you notice any of these signs, it is important to have your air conditioner inspected and repaired by a qualified technician as soon as possible to prevent further damage and ensure that your unit is operating efficiently.
How Long Do Air Conditioners Last?
The lifespan of an air conditioner depends on several factors, including the brand, model, usage patterns, and maintenance practices. On average, a well-maintained air conditioner can last between 10 to 15 years, although some units can last longer.
Factors such as the quality of the installation, the frequency of use, and the climate of the area where the air conditioner is used can also affect its lifespan. For example, an air conditioner that is used frequently in a hot and humid climate may experience more wear and tear than one that is used only occasionally in a cooler climate.
Regular maintenance and servicing can help extend the lifespan of an air conditioner by ensuring that it operates at optimal efficiency and identifying and addressing any issues before they become major problems. It is recommended to have your air conditioner serviced at least once a year by a qualified technician to ensure it is working correctly and to detect any potential issues.
How Often Should I Schedule AC Maintenance?
If you are a homeowner, it is recommended that you have your air conditioning system tuned-up at least once a year. However, if you have an older unit, or a unit that is prone to problems it is recommended to schedule your maintenance every 6-9 months. This can help keep your unit operating efficiently for longer. If you have any questions about AC maintenance or wish to schedule an appointment with one of our HVAC technicians give us a call today!
Schedule Your Air Conditioning Maintenance Appointment in Houston Today
The dedicated HVAC technicians at LoneStar Heating and Cooling have been serving Houston and its surrounding communities for over 30 years. In this time, our company has established itself as an industry leader and proud member of the Houston community. We work with both commercial and residential clients providing affordable HVAC repairs, maintenance services, and installations to help you maintain total control over the climate in your home or business. We also offer commercial refrigeration repair, maintenance, and installation services. If you are looking to take control of the climate in your space, schedule an appointment with our team today.
LoneStar Heating and Cooling
7941 Katy Fwy #287
Houston, TX 77024
View our Google Listing